The internet is packed with bullshit.
There’s a whole range of nonsense to be found, thousands of sites devoted to woo, and entire corners of the web devoted to crack-pottery. In lieu of a more thought-out, extensive post I thought I’d throw together a list of a couple things that can very often be indicators to the fact that the website you’ve stumbled upon is spouting bullshit.
- The writer seems to have a serious fetish for the word ‘truth’ and will use it in everything from the title to each and every post.
- The words ‘New World Order’, ‘Illuminati’ and/or ‘Jews’ are used in the same sentence.
- Info Wars is linked without any trace of sarcasm.
- The reader is frequently exonerated to “wake up”, or posts are ended with a call for America/the world to “open their eyes”.
- ‘False Flag Operations’ are mentioned and discussed with reckless abandon.
- Crude and blurry images with red lines added in MS Paint make up the bulk of the images posted.
- Monsanto is viewed as something akin to the Antichrist.
- The phrase “wake up sheeple” is used without irony.
- Ghandi’s “first they ignore you…” quote is referenced frequently.
- Any Youtube videos linked will always have their titles in all-caps. Because nothing says credible like all-caps.
- Any text used in an image must be bright red. Because red is a colour that works on anything.
- Alex Jones is cited as an expert.